Friday, October 3, 2008
According to Donna Butts, executive director of Generations United, "It is evolving in some ways back to how families used to live. That is, they're living in multi-generational households".
Add the economic benefit and it is no wonder it is becoming more popular than ever to share your home with someone. Remember the old adage "Two can live as cheap as one?"
As a homeschooling family, we have been very sensitive to multi-generational relationships and encourage our kids to be able to relate to people of all ages, not just kids their own age. We believe this is very valuable in teaching our kids the wisdom that comes from age and experience.
If the thought of living with extended family is not appealing to you, re-think that. With today's houses, you can have two separate living spaces and never even see one another unless planned. In fact, my firm has a great example of a home used to care for an elderly parent. This home has 5 bedrooms, 3 baths, 2 full kitchens/family rooms and a handicap ramp all for $165K.
Click here to see it.
There are lots of options today. Please give me a call and let me find the right one for you!
Southern Prime Realty
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
If you have decent credit and good prospects for a stable income, then you can still buy a home with little cash up front. There are several programs available today that can help you realize your dream of home ownership. Call me today and let me show you what your options are. There are limits and requirements but anything worthwhile takes effort. Let's work together to fill empty homes with people who will take care of them and be an asset to our communities.
Southern Prime Realty
Thursday, June 12, 2008
With the rise in foreclosures across the country and here in Cherokee and Cobb county, it is good to see people thinking about the impact that this can have on our pets. If you know of any animals that have been displaced by a recent foreclosure, please give me a call or visit the No Paws Left Behind web site for more information about how you can help.
Southern Prime Realty
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
If you are looking to buy a new home, now is the time. Call me today and let me help you find the home of your dreams.
Thursday, April 10, 2008
This is good news. It seems like most of what we hear is mixed blessing. Rates are up but prices are down. All I know is that my phone has been ringing a lot more lately and several of my properties have gone under contract at very close to the listing price. Spring is here in Cherokee County and now is a great time to get your house ready to sell. If you have been waiting till spring to sell, now is the time to act.
Give me a call and I would consider it an honor to help you get your home sold.
Friday, March 28, 2008
Not to take away from the folks in Texas, but I been to there and Georgia is a much better place to live. I know the people of Texas are great and friendly and all, but Atlanta is such a prettier place and the people are just as friendly and nice. I believe our economy is much more broad based which will fair better during any downturn and will recover faster than a market which is more narrow in focus.
As I wrote about last week, the current buyer's market will end sooner here than most areas and we are already seeing trends that point to a recovery. Don't let this market turn before you take advantage of it. Call me today and let's find the home of your dreams before we wake up and find it's a sellers market again.
Thursday, March 20, 2008
It is easy to see why Georgia has the most counties in the top 100. While we have had problems keeping up with the growth, like water management, urban sprawl, and congested roads, for the most part Cherokee County has done an excellent job with the resources given to them. Our schools are doing great, unemployment has remained low and housing has remained affordable.
The current buyers market in Cherokee county will change sooner than other areas of the country. We need to keep in mind that we live in an area that is going to continue to grow and be prepared for the thousands of new comers looking for a better life.
If you are thinking about buying a house in Cherokee County anytime in the near future, I would recommend that you take advantage of the current market before it changes. I can help you find a great deal and would consider it a privilege to assist you.
Monday, March 17, 2008
This can be an excellent way for buyers to try the house and neighborhood on, so to speak, before they have to actually buy it. Owners get another tool they can use to get an empty property occupied or get the freedom to go ahead and move to their new house without fear of their present house sitting empty.
If you have thought about lease purchase as an option for you, please call me. They are not for everyone and I can share more details to help you decide if this is right for you.
Thursday, March 13, 2008
What we can see from current trends is that new housing starts are much lower than ever before and applications for new developments have almost stopped completely. It can take 2-5 years before a new project is proposed and when new homes are ready to be occupied. We live in an area that will continue to see economic growth. I believe we are going to be caught unprepared with not enough housing units in the pipeline or available for the demand that will continue to grow. It takes time to ramp up new construction and because not much is happening now, a lot of builders are closing up shop and moving into other lines of work.
After the current overstock of housing inventory is depleted, where will the new home buyers of tomorrow find a place to live? Wherever it will be, the prices will go up because as always demand sets price. Those who bought when supply was plentiful and demand low will be looking at a day when they can sell high. The problem will then be where are they going to go. They will have a hard time replacing the home they have with something comparable. What can you do to take advantage of the current buyers market?
The best thing would be to buy rental properties and hold on to them for a couple of years. Demand will continue to rise so prices will also rise. You are not trying to replace your primary residence but selling an investment, which as we all know you should do when prices are high. I know lots of people who bought low in 2001-2002 and sold high in 2005-2006. You can time this market but you won't do it by following the crowd. You have to buy when everyone else is selling and you have to sell when everyone else is buying. It is simple logic.
If you need help finding great investment properties, give me a call. I can help you meet your goals of buying low and selling high. Real estate is still one of the best and safest investments you can make if you do your homework. Start your education today.
Monday, March 10, 2008
What we have is a system that rewards debt on most real estate. The tax code also rewards appreciation or capital gains on your primary residence, up to a limit, depending on your marital status, and if you have owned your home long enough. Here is a good article from REALTOR.com that gives great reasons for home ownership from a tax standpoint. With all of the negative reporting on what is happening in the real estate market, we must remember that owning your own home it is still one of the best ways to accumulate wealth and save on your taxes.
Most people think the day you sell your house is when you make money on it, but in reality it is when you buy your house that most of your profits are made. Sure, you can time the market somewhat when you sell to maximize your gains, but in the end if you paid too much in the first place, it will reduce your profits later when you sell. Time can dig you out of a bad purchase, but don't let that happen to you.
Everyone knows when investing you should buy low and sell high, right? Well, now is an excellent time to buy low! Don't miss the bottom of the market! On Thursday, I will talk about how the buyers market we are seeing in Atlanta will be back to a sellers market before the rest of the country, and that it will be here faster than you think. Interest rates are great, prices are low, and supply is plentiful. Now is the time to buy low, and start looking for the day you can sell high, and avoid the tax man all the way to the bank.
Thursday, March 6, 2008
This may keep some people away but then again, everyday people have to move for one reason or another. A new job, divorce or other life circumstances will always keep a certain portion of our population moving. Even though the market has slowed down, it has not stopped. If you find yourself in the category of people that have to move now, please give me the opportunity to make it as pain-free as possible. I can market your home to a very broad base of internet home buyers and help you strategically place your home prominently in the online community.
Over 80% of home buyers today start their search on line. Let me show you how we will leverage that trend to make your home stand out among all the others. Call me today and let's get started.
Monday, March 3, 2008
What is a realistic price? A good indicator would be to go back 5 to 7 years, find the value then and increase it by 2-3% a year. While this is a very simplistic and often times the wrong approach, it can help us see the long-term, steady increase the house would achieve without the wild run-up of prices we saw a couple of years ago.If you are renting and have stable income, even just OK credit and a little cash, now is a great time to buy. What is keeping a lot of people on the sidelines are the headlines about record foreclosures, people losing their homes and the sub-prime loan meltdown. All of these thing, while significant, should not keep qualified buyers from possibly the best buyers market we have seen in years.
Let me help you determine if now is the best time to enter the home ownership market. I can help you find a great lender and a great home.
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Some segments of the market are declining slightly while others are holding their own. So it depends on which part of the market (price range) you are looking at. According to the graph here on yahoo.com, the average home price rose over the last year. We have seen a slight decline in the last couple of weeks though.
If you are concerned about your home's value today, there are several places you can go to get an idea of value. The best place to start is with a local REALTOR. If I can help you determine your home's value in today's market, please give me a call. I can access the latest data available to give you the best picture of your home and neighborhoods current value.
If you are considering selling your home soon, let me arm you with all you need to make your decision to sell now or wait until later.
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Thanks to the internet and electronic signature, I can now send documents to anyone with an e-mail address and internet connection for you to review, sign and return from the comfort of your computer. No more having to take a contract to one person for their signature, fax it to another for them to approve, sign and countersign and then return to the original sender. With this new service, you will get an e-mail notifying you that a document needs your review and approval. You then click on the link in the e-mail, sign in to a secure web site, review the document and then electronically sign it.
Now don't panic! If you want to print out a paper copy for your files, you can. You can also save the document to your own hard drive in the form of a pdf (portable document format) document for review later or just for your records.
If you would like more information, please do not hesitate to call me with any questions, concerns or comments. This is just one more way I am committed to helping you buy or sell your next home in as quick and easy way as possible.
Monday, February 18, 2008
If you have wanted to buy a home and found it difficult to get financed, you are not alone. If you truly want to take advantage of the current low rates (before they go up again) and excellent deals available, please call me. I have several techniques that can help you obtain the financing you need to buy your first home. I can help you find a home that will meet your needs and one that also has instant equity. This is very important because when a loan officer looks at the property, you will start out from a very strong position before he even looks at your credit.
Call me today and let's find a home that will put you on the road to financial freedom and also to own your part of the American Dream!
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
1. Paint! If you can do nothing else, paint your walls. A fresh coat of paint covers a multitude of sins. Be sure to use only one neutral color of flat (such as antique white or eggshell) and a high gloss pure white for your trim. Keep it simple and keep it neutral.
2. Be sure to remove any wallpaper - most potential buyers will not want wallpaper and they especially won't want yours. When people see wallpaper, they immediately think of the work that will be involved in removing it (not much if you do it correctly) and it detracts from the house in their mind.
3. PURGE! Yes, get rid of the clutter and get those closets organized. This is very important because it allows the buyers to see the space that your house has to offer. It is very difficult for people to visualize the space looking different when they'll own it so you need to make it look great when they see it. If you could use the services of a personal organizer, please call me and I will be happy to recommend one to you.
4. Stage the house! Get rid (now) of furniture you don't think you'll take with you when you move so you'll have more space to stage the furniture that you do have to give your house an open floorplan feel. If you would like to use the services of a professional stager, please call me for a recommendation.
5. Window Treatments. First, make sure that the blinds that you have are clean. Dusty or dirty blinds are not only unsightly, but they retain odors. To clean them, remove them and soak them in your bathtub for 10 minutes. The water shold contain 3 parts water to 1 part ammonia. Use a scrub brush for blinds that have grease (from the kitchen). Lay them out on a flat surface like a driveway to dry out before rehanging them. Wash fabric window treatments.
6. Speaking of windows, while you have the blinds soaking, clean the windows themselves. Have a clean & clear view for your potential buyers. Use a good streak-free window cleaner.
7. If you can, replace the carpet (be sure you paint first!). This will give the house a nearly brand new feel when combines with the paint. If you really want to sell it and add value to the house, replace the carpet with hardwood floors. Buyers like this because it's healthier (especially for those with allergies) and easier to keep clean than carpet.
8. Perform a spring cleaning! For a light clean, go through and declutter, dust, clean and check all light fixtures for working bulbs. Check your smoke alarm, too. If you really want to deep clean and go over it with a fine-tooth comb, visit this site and get a print out of the most serious spring cleaning plan that I've ever seen: THE GRAND PLAN
9. Upgrade! Kitchens and bathrooms are the 2 rooms where you should focus your energy and your dollars. Replace the old fixtures with new ones. (faucets, lights, towel racks, drawer/cabinet hardware). Be sure that drains are not slow while you're working in there.
10. Landscape. At the bare minimum, your yard should be raked, clean and have a trimmed lawn. You can also trim your hedges, spread some mulch and plant some flowers that require little water. Be sure to remove any junk, toys or yard debris.
11. Look at your mailbox. Is it a rust bucket? Does it look battered? Consider replacing it. It will be one of the first things people see when they come to look at your house. If you don't have the funds to replace it, at least paint it so that it looks new. A small can of spray paint for metal would work well. Be sure to paint the post as well. The mailbox is also a great place to plant some flowers.
12. Odors - get rid of them. Clean every surface that you possibly can. If you smoke, be sure to wipe everything down from the walls to the doors to the ceilings and ceiling fans. If you want to use an air freshener, use the kind that plug in and have a liquid base. Method has some great scents as well as other great home cleaning products. Using matching scents can go a long way in removing odors as you clean.
For more ideas about preparing to sell your home or to find out what it may be worth in today's market, please give me a call at 770-862-8002.
Southern Prime Realty
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Thursday, February 7, 2008
Tickets are available at the Show Box Office, located at the top of the escalator. Regular tickets are only valid for one day of admission. Multi-day passes are available for $15 and allow attendees to return for a 2nd day of the show. There will be plenty of free parking.
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Sunday, February 3, 2008
Saturday, February 2, 2008
Usually when the Federal Reserve Board meets and lowers the rate they charge banks, interest rates eventually will fall. Due to the high demand for refinances, this time rates have actually risen.
Will they continue to rise or will the demand for mortgages easy allowing the rates to fall again? That is the million dollar question. I think we are at or very near the bottom for now.
Today is a great time to lock in a low interest rate for your new home. Great inventory and low rates together make now one of the best times to buy your new home. Call me today and let's find YOUR dream home!
Thursday, January 31, 2008
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Southern prime Realty
Friday, January 25, 2008
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Monday, January 21, 2008
In THIS USA Today article by Stephanie Armour, Sally Stetson, co-founder of Salveson Stetson Group, a Philadelphia executive search firm, says "What's going on in the housing market is causing an increasing reluctance for candidates to consider relocating. Employers are much more willing to extend corporate housing on a month-to-month basis."
What employers are willing to do:
•Employers are extending temporary housing allowances from two to three months to up to eight months, an indicator of how hard it is today for relocating employees to sell their homes.
•Larger companies in some cases will buy the new employee's home as a buyer of last resort. Home Depot (HD), for example, will buy a relocating employee's residence once it's been on the market for 90 days.
•Some companies will let a new hire or employee who can't relocate work remotely, or let them commute long distances, going to the main office less frequently.
If you are considering a job transfer, let's talk about how you might be able to negotiate with your employer to get some help with the sale of your home. Call me today at 770-862-8002.
Southern Prime Realty
Sunday, January 20, 2008
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Monday, January 14, 2008
To enter your own zipcodes and get the "skinny" on the area, visit Zipskinny by clicking HERE.
Thursday, January 10, 2008
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Saturday, January 5, 2008
Long term interest rates have gone down this week (Click Here). Hopefully this is the beginning of a downward trend but I wouldn't bet the house on it. Anyone looking to purchase a house soon will be glad to know that rates are trending downward and they make buying a house or re-financing your current loan very affordable.
Couple that with the fact that rents are sure to go up, (Click Here for more info) anyone who invest in real estate could position them selves nicely with a low mortgage and higher rents. I have several properties in mind that will create a good cash flow and excellent appreciation in Cobb and Cherokee County.
If you every wanted to invest in real estate, now is a great time to start. Call me today and let's get started.
Wednesday, January 2, 2008
- I have to exercise early in the morning before my brain figures out what I'm doing.
- I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.
- I have flabby thighs, but fortunately my stomach covers them.
- The advantage of exercising every day is that you die healthier.
- If you are going to try cross-country skiing, start with a small country.
- Walking can add minutes to your life. This enables you at 85 years old to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5000 per month.
- My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was 60. Now she's 97 years old and we don't know where on earth she is.
- The only reason I would take up exercising is so that I could hear heavy breathing again.
- I joined a health club last year, spent about 400 bucks. Haven't lost a pound. Apparently you have to go there.
- And last but not least: I don't exercise because it makes the ice jump right out of my glass.
Tuesday, January 1, 2008
"We are the fastest-growing state east of the Rocky Mountains. That confirms a trend that has been in place many years. It's deja vu," said Jeffrey Humphreys, a demographer with the University of Georgia's Selig Center. "It ratifies the fundamental strength that Georgia has as an economic engine," he said. "People come here for jobs and to get educated and to retire."
It's a new year and time to make plans for your dream house. Whether you want to buy or sell a house, I can help make that happen. Call me today and let's talk about how you can put yourself in the best position for the rebounding market. 770-862-8002.
Southern Prime Realty